Initiation into the Christian community for Catholics begins when parents present their children for Baptism, and continues with reception of the Sacrament of Holy Eucharist, these children are brought more deeply into Christ’s church. The Sacrament of Confirmation is the sacrament in which Catholics complete their initiation, becoming a full and complete member of the Church. However, Confirmation is not ‘graduation’ from learning about and experiencing the faith! Rather Confirmation seals our young candidates with the gifts of the Holy Spirit in order that they can fully participate in the life of the Church and share their unique gifts and talents with the World!
Our Confirmation preparation program is offered to teens Grade 9 and up. Preparation sessions meet Sunday mornings from 10:00 AM – 11:45 AM every 3 weeks at St. Elizabeth Seton. This year we’re excited to announce that we will be using the Chosen Confirmation Preparation Program to help our teens come to understand the tenets and beauty of our Catholic faith in a way that speaks to young people where they are, and addresses the faith in light of their daily experiences and questions! The program focuses on the Creed, the Sacraments, Christian Living and Prayer. Check out the trailer below for a glimpse of this exciting course!
Additionally, these Sunday morning sessions will invite teens into prayer experiences, reflections, and encounters with the Lord as they journey towards understanding and accepting their adulthood within the Church!
A key component of being Confirmed is the acceptance of responsibility of ones own faith life and relationship with God. With this in mind, we ask the following things of our Confirmation Candidates
- Completion of the EDGE Youth Formation program during the Grade 8 school year (at least!)
- Regular attendance at Confirmation Sessions
- Regular Sunday Mass attendance throughout the year of preparation
- 10 Hours of Voluntary Community Service (See Service Hours Sheet attached below!)
- Attendance at our overnight Confirmation Retreat, held this year on March 29-30.
- Finally (and most importantly!) openness to the Spirit of God speaking to you throughout this preparation process!